Sunday, February 5, 2012

The Year of Revisions (not the dragon)

I've been rather quiet lately on my blog.  This year I've started revisions and it's like I'm all brand new to this writing thing.  Suddenly I'm revisiting my novels and it's tough to not scream like a girl and hide in the closet.

O.k. maybe not like a girl.

I'm learning a lot about why someone should free write a first draft.  But now I'm getting into all the important writing things like, 'show don't tell', repetition, grammar and dialogue.  This is going to be a tough revision.  I should actually probably call it a re-write.

I've decided that my weakest point is telling instead of showing.  I've learned that it truely is important to ensure your readers feel emotionally invested in (a.k.a. care about) your characters.  If I want you to care about them, worry about them then I need to show you how they act/feel instead of tell you.  This means a lot to me and I'm willing to start over to make sure I do it right.  I'm sorry, but I want you to cry like you're cutting onions.  I want your heart to soar when they fall in love.  I want you to get utterly pissed and write me hate mail when you read the ending demanding I send you the draft of the sequel.

Quite frankly I want my characters to be so alive and real that you include them as dependents on your health insurance.  There is balance in all things.  For now I'm tell heavy.  I wish it were as simple as just restructuring a sentence to make it work, but it's not.  I'm learning as I go, but for now it's double dutch.  I'll master this and make it worth our time.

That's what I'm up to.

Oh, by the way, I'm working on Speaker of the Winds.  Yeah, it's going to be awesome.  You might as well start saving to buy it now.
;-)

Keep on writing.  I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment